Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:45:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?

>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:16:20 +0300
>From: Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
>To: Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>,
>        Jamie Heckford <heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk>
>Cc: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?
>
>Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 04:32:14, msmith (Mike Smith) wrote
>about "Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?":

>> > Does "options PNPBIOS" fix this? I have a SiS496+AMDK4/133 box where
>> > FreeBSD4 hangs up without this option during searching ISA PnP devices, and
>> > there are no "PNP OS Yes/No" switch in BIOS. "options PNPBIOS" enables
>> > system to load and work correctly but it was found occasionally,
>> > no man mentiones this option in such context. (FreeBSD3 did not require
>> > any special options to boot.)
>> No, it doesn't.  And FreeBSD 3.x doesn't support that network adapter at all.
>
>Sorry, I misspecified context for my question. The system I described
>has none ISA PnP devices (really, it has UM9008F in jumperless mode,
>which don't reply to PnP queries), the question is not related to `Subject:'
>of this thread, but only to "PNP Yes/No" switches in BIOS. And on it,
>kernel.GENERIC and any tested 4.x kernel without PNPBIOS option hangs
>during hardware checking without any descriptive messages. (The solution
>was found after comparing verbose boot output of this system and non-problem
>neighbour: it hangs before check PNP devices via first protocol broadcast
>port, AFAIR 0x203.)
>
>> It looks like we are going to need to do some work on this fairly
>> quickly, but in the meantime, you are SOL with that board.
>
>What does PNPBIOS option do?

It controls whether the BIOS or the OS will configure PnP
devices.  At this time the only OSes I'm aware of that are
PnP-aware are the newer ones from Microsoft.  If you select
PNPBIOS, the BIOS should configure (ie. allocate resources
for) PnP devices after POST but before OS-boot.  (But check
with your BIOS documentation.)

Some mainboard/BIOS setups (for example Asus with Award
BIOS) call this option "PnP OS."  In these cases, "no"
means you are telling your BIOS that the OS is *not* PnP,
so PnP devices should be BIOS-configured.

>Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 13:17:59, heckfordj (Jamie Heckford)
>wrote about "Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?":
>
>> All of the recent BIOS's support this option - it may be hidden
>> as something like:
>>
>> "Operating System Type:"
>>
>> "WindowsME/2000"
>> "Windows95/98"
>> "Windows NT4.0/Other"
>
>This system was bought in April 1996. None of similar switch, neither
>in menus nor in documentation.
>
>/netch

-kc