Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:27:38 -0500
From:      "Greg Larkin" <glarkin@sourcehosting.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Instruction fault panic while installing 6.2 on VMware Server

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a standard FreeBSD 6.2 ISO image that I can use to
perform unattended installations into VMware Server virtual machines.
I'm using VMServer 1.0.1, and I've hit a roadblock when sysinstall
attempts to create the root filesystem.

The first thing to mention is that VMServer is running on a CentOS 4.4
host OS, and the CPU architecture is a Via C3 Nehemiah.  Technically,
the VMServer software is not supposed to work on the Via C3 line, but
the Nehemiah apparently supports the CMOV instruction that VMServer
requires.  I've been able to install Fedora Core 6 successfully and
run it with no problems, so I'm wondering if I just need to find the
right options to configure FreeBSD 6.2 to get it to work.

Anyway, the VM boots fine, loads the FreeBSD ISO, and launches
sysinstall, but as soon as newfs is invoked to make the root
filesystem, I get this:

Making a new root filesystem on /dev/ad0s1a
Panic: privileged instruction fault
(auto reboot)

I've tried installing from the standard 6.2 release ISO as well as a
custom ISO with a recompiled kernel, but I get the same error either
way.  I also tried disabling ACPI during boot with no success.

My custom kernel config is included below.  My first thought was that
if I explicitly set the CPU to I486, that might help avoid the
instruction fault, but that doesn't work.  I didn't see any other
options that looked like they would fix the fault, but I'm not very
experienced at kernel configuration either.

Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this problem? Thank you
for any help!

Regards,
Greg Larkin

machine		i386
cpu		I486_CPU
ident		VMWAREC3
makeoptions	DEBUG=3D-g		# Build kernel with gdb(1)
debug symbols
options 	SCHED_4BSD		# 4BSD scheduler
options 	PREEMPTION		# Enable kernel thread
preemption
options 	INET			# InterNETworking
options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	SOFTUPDATES		# Enable FFS soft updates
support
options 	UFS_ACL			# Support for access control
lists
options 	UFS_DIRHASH		# Improve performance on big
directories
options 	MD_ROOT			# MD is a potential root
device
options 	NFSCLIENT		# Network Filesystem Client
options 	NFSSERVER		# Network Filesystem Server
options 	NFS_ROOT		# NFS usable as /, requires
NFSCLIENT
options 	CD9660			# ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			# Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options 	PSEUDOFS		# Pseudo-filesystem framework
options 	GEOM_GPT		# GUID Partition Tables.
options 	COMPAT_43		# Compatible with BSD 4.3
[KEEP THIS!]
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD4		# Compatible with FreeBSD4
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD5		# Compatible with FreeBSD5
options 	SCSI_DELAY=3D5000		# Delay (in ms) before probing
SCSI
options 	KTRACE			# ktrace(1) support
options 	SYSVSHM			# SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			# SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			# SYSV-style semaphores
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev
options 	ADAPTIVE_GIANT		# Giant mutex is adaptive.
device		apic			# I/O APIC
device		pci
device		ata
device		atadisk		# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd		# ATAPI CDROM drives
device		atapifd		# ATAPI floppy drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID	# Static device numbering
device		ahb		# EISA AHA1742 family
device		ahc		# AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
options 	AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT	# Print register bitfields in
debug
					# output.  Adds ~128k to
driver.
device		ahd		# AHA39320/29320 and onboard AIC79xx
devices
options 	AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT	# Print register bitfields in
debug
					# output.  Adds ~215k to
driver.
device		mpt		# LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
device		bt		# Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster SCSI
adapters
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device		ch		# SCSI media changers
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
device		sa		# Sequential Access (tape etc)
device		cd		# CD
device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct SCSI
access)
device		ses		# SCSI Environmental Services (and
SAF-TE)
device		atkbdc		# AT keyboard controller
device		atkbd		# AT keyboard
device		psm		# PS/2 mouse
device		kbdmux		# keyboard multiplexer
device		vga		# VGA video card driver
device		splash		# Splash screen and screen saver
support
device		sc
device		pmtimer
device		sio		# 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports
device		ppc
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device
device		em		# Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit
Ethernet Card
device		miibus		# MII bus support
device		lnc		# NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards
device		loop		# Network loopback
device		random		# Entropy device
device		ether		# Ethernet support
device		sl		# Kernel SLIP
device		ppp		# Kernel PPP
device		tun		# Packet tunnel.
device		pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device		md		# Memory "disks"
device		gif		# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device		faith		# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device		bpf		# Berkeley packet filter
device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ehci		# EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
device		ugen		# Generic
device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
device		ukbd		# Keyboard
device		ulpt		# Printer
device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da
device		ums		# Mouse