Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 11:09:14 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>, Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OnStream SCSI drives

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

> I got the documentation for this device and got a drive unit, and took a
> quick look at this today (I have to be gone until next tuesday- my flight
> leaves in a couple of hours).

     Thanks for the update.  I'm surprised (but glad!) that you
obtained the documenatation so quickly.  OnStream just contacted me
yesterday, offering me a copy of their documentation; however, they told
me that it wouldn't be available until June 7.

> The support for this is going to be quite complex. Not only is it the
> various modifications to commands (must have 'immediate' bit set, etc..),
> but it means that:

     Yow.  Ackptuii.

     How are you thinking of handling this?  I was thinking of a
userland driver program, but it sounds like you're considering kernel
driver foo.  If you can, great.

> I'll ask Onstream if they mind the information going out so if others have
> more aggressive schedules they can try to implement this sooner if they
> lke, but you'd better coordinate with me on this.

     It sounds like you've got slightly more time than me.  If you
weren't going to do it, I'd give it a shot, but I'll let you do it.  I
can help with testing, though.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.