Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 18:13:04 +0900
From:      NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

# Thanks advice and translate nomads ML people!

> The problem is that with the static configuration technologies (config,
> newconfig) under discussion, there is an array of per-bus data
> structures constructed at compile-time containing the parametric
> information.

It is incorrect. We already explain, some times.

Newconfig *is* both dynamic and static configuration technology.

> By making the pcic driver an ISA driver, you tie it to the data
> structure that config generates.  This is a fundamental problem with
> our current bus code.
>
> Because there must be one instance of this structure per instance of
> the device, you can't dynamically create new instances when you
> discover more pcics.  Because the supporting code for these structures
> doesn't understand things arriving and leaving at arbitrary times, you
> can't support dynamism.

Of cource, newconfig framework adopted in 4.4BSD, BSD/OS, NetBSD and
OpenBSD supports dynamic device instance creation. Also detaching is
supported. What is the problem of newconfig aproach ?

> The "new bus" philosophy on this is to write code which knows how to
> find the pcics, and attach the driver to whichever point the bridge is
> logically connected.
>
> The major point of contention at the moment seems to rest around how
> you pass per-instance parameters to the driver, to tell it where to put
> the pcic (I/O, interrupt resources).  I don't think that this should
> actually be an issue - we should be able to determine these numbers
> automatically.

The "newconfig" supports these, and already coded and working!

Of cource in the "newconfig" project, we will do,

- Separate PCIC code into three parts: ISA frontend, PCI
frontend and bus independent backend.

# using NetBSD pcmcia support code, and *native* CardBus
# support code.

- ISA frontend supports ISA PCICs on ISA buses and PCI PCICs'
ISA PCIC compatible mode.

# "PCI PCICs' ISA PCIC compatible mode" means BIOS setuped
# Legacy compatible mode. Some CardBus bridge, it can't
# probe PCI bus in this mode.

- PCI frontend supports PCICs on PCI buses for *native*
CardBus support.

- Supports dynamic configuration for both ISA frontend and PCI
frontend. Naturally it is clear that can do fully automatic
configuration in PCI frontend only.

- There *is* already working code and you can get it!
(The UserConfig facility is not supported yet.)

- Are there any problem handling PCIC as ISA device ?

--
NAKAGAWA, Yoshihisa
	y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp