Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:00:56 +0100
From:      "Bagnara Stefano" <bago@datasail.it>
To:        "FreeBSD filesystems" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RAIDing freebsd....

This is the first time i get so many answer to a question in a mailing
list....
many thanx to all...

So let's sort the problems:

1. I need 8/10 gigs of useable space on the system and i'll try to get it
with software RAID: should be better to use 3 x 4gigs than 2 x 9 gigs (as my
original idea). After all your posts i concluded (sorry for my english) that
3 x 4 gigs is less expensive and faster, but... is the software RAID
configuration the same? or with RAID3 it is more difficult than RAID1?

2. This is the first time i install FreeBSD. I used a lot linux before. Can
i set up the whole system with software RAID and get it to work anyway if
one disk fail? (as in HW RAID).

3. Where can i find an hardware compatibility lists for RAID controllers?
i've read the Handbook but i only found classic SCSI cards. Any suggestion
about a specific controller?