Date:               Tue, 2 Jul 1996 10:23:17 EST
From:      "Christian" <PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         question about mail -- mail gurus please help

Hi,

    I would like to know if it is possible, using any tools available
in UNIX - FreeBSD in particular, to set up a system that would
automatically answer mail sent to any user on the system with a stock
message.  Let me try to explain what I would like to do more clearly.
 Say a person sends a message to someuser@cc.csg.peachnet.edu.  What
I would like is to have the machine take the sender's address from
the message and return to them a message that says something like
"someuser@cc.csg.peachnet.edu can no longer receive mail at this
address. The new address is someuser@ColState.EDU please make note of
this change."  Simple enough, huh?  But it gets more interesting....
Ideally the user should not need to have an account on the system
that does this forwarding.  What I mean is, that any and all mail
sent to any name @cc.csg.peachnet.edu be sent this message, wether or
not the user's name exists on the host.  i.e. I can send a message to
cplazas@cc.csg.peachnet.edu or mickey_mouse@cc.csg.peachnet.edu and
both would get the same reply even if mickey_mouse was not a user on
the system.   Is this possible?

Thanks,
C.P.

Christian Plazas <plazas_christian@cc.csg.peachnet.edu>