Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 14:53:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Subject:   Re: my hard disk is about to die..

As Mark Mayo wrote:

> ANyone have any ideas? (I wouldn't mind using a SCSII replacement, but
> I'm thinking just throwing in another IDE will save time.)

You can safely replace it by a SCSI disk.  All you need to do is,
take the machine down to single-user, disklabel the SCSI disk, and:

for filesys in a e f g ## <<- insert what you've got here
do
	newfs -d0 /dev/rsd0$filesys
	mount /dev/sd0$filesys /mnt
	cd /mnt
	dump 0bf 10000000 - /dev/rwd0$filesys | restore ivf -
	rm restoresymtable
	cd
	umount /mnt
done

(Pick the correct slices for sd0 and wd0 if you're using slices.)

Finally, mount the new root f/s again, and edit its /etc/fstab to
reflect the new diskname.  This should be all you need.  You can now
halt your system, unplug the IDE drive, correct the BIOS setting, and
reboot.

--
cheers, J"org