Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:38:58 +0000
From:      Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
To:        Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes@godskitchen.org>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Technical Differences of *BSD and Linux

Josef El-Rayes wrote:

> Dear Arief,
>
> as you can see your questions are not very welcome on the mailinglists, therefore i advice you to have a look at this book if you are interested in BSD's technical background
>
> Title: The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System
>
> Authors: McKusick, Bostic, Karels and Quarterman
> Publisher: Addison-Wesley
>
> 4.4BSD is what NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD are basing on.
>
> For Linux i cant help you.
>
> Take this approach to read about technicals issues yourself, by finding the differences yourself you learn much more than being told.
>
> greets, josef

Overall this is not the place to go into all that Linux
vs. BSD stuff. Usually hacker lists are for technical
details. Although sometimes general issues like
security will get floated.

I don't know if I (1) Feel Competent Enough
(2)Have the Time to throw together a *NIX
reading list. Generally one can glean a lot of
information by just putting oneself on several
mailing lists. Some devoted to BSD, some to
Linux and just lurking around. One can get a
lot of useful information that way.

If one really wanted to have fun, and I have
thought of this. A "triple boot system" would
be the real way to find out the differences and
compare the *BSD, Linux and the Windows
Universes.

Oh well that is my 5 cents worth (inflation you
know) and now I will go back to lurking.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. Does anyone ever do much on advocacy
mailing lists? So far hackers is the best list for
technical stuff about *BSD I know of.