Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:39:09 +0200
From:      Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb@whacky.net>
To:        Stephan van Beerschoten <stephanb@whacky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie to hw raid and lvm

Stephan van Beerschoten wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I jus this morning installed a new copy of -current onto a desktop
> platform with a raidcontroller on its motherboard.
> It is a promise controller and it works.
>
> However, I wonder now if there is such a thing as a LVM for FreeBSD ?
> Vinum, I noticed, cannot help me with this, but having a blob of 160GB
> (2x 160gb mirrored) would be a lot more helpfull if I could put
> so-called softpartitions on top of it. Much like what I'm used to on
> the Solaris platform that allows me on-the-fly creations and resizes
> of volumes.
>
> Also, I noticed the kernel recognized each individual disk which is
> part of my mirror. Is it possible to do anything with the raid
> configuration from a userland perspective or is this information given
> only because the kernel happends to be able to register it, but one
> cannot actually DO anything with this information ?

I forgot to include one other thing I wondered about. After I installed
the base OS, I wanted to 'test' the mirror so I unplugged the power to
one of the disks. The result was FreeBSD panicing, which was not what I
expected to see. This was still with 5.2.1 (I'm now up to par with
-CURRENT).
I would assume the system would continue utilizing the one existend
disk, specially after FreeBSD _knows_ the configuration of the raid array.

Any comments for this disillusioned raid newbie ?

/Stephan