Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:19:19 -0800
From:      Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
To:        Jim Graves <jgraves@i2020.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PNP Card Install Problem

hi

JG> I have release 4.2 #0 installed on a Pentium 4 machine with an ASUS P4T
JG> main board. The boot process lists all cards and installs them, but the
JG> network card fails.  I have tried two different cards - same problem.
JG> From a DMESG, I see:

JG> dc0: <Davicom DM9102A 10/100BaseTX> at device 11.0 on pci2
JG> dc0: couldn't map ports/memory
JG> device_probe_and_attach: dc0 attach returned 6

JG> What is this telling me, how do I fix it?  I've got to have a network
JG> card!

JG> On my old 200MHz Pentium Pro machine, both cards can be setup correctly,
JG> but I'd rather be running on my new machine at 1.5GHz.

I  was  getting the exact same error after trying both 4.2-RELEASE and
4.4-RELEASE.  As  it turned out, my BIOS was set to PnP Aware OS (Plug
and  Play).  I changed the setting in the BIOS to be "Other", the card
was detected without any problem and the above error went away.

brian

--
Got work?                      http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/
This is how I think:           http://www.planetshwoop.com/blog/