Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 01:34:32 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Theo van Klaveren <t.vanklaveren@student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: In-kernel ioctl calls

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 23:08:12 +0200, Theo van Klaveren wrote:
> Soren Schmidt wrote:
> -long story snipped-
> | > Am I just doing it wrong, or should atapi-cd.c be patched to verify if
> the
> | > buffer is in user space or in kernel space? If so, what function checks
> if
> | > an address is in kernel space or in user space? If not, what am I doing
> | > wrong?
> |
> | Here's another idea, the ata driver can read/write 2352 sector size
> | blocks directly, no need to use that ugly ioctl. You just have to
> | set the right blocksize, I could provide you with a function for
> | that, no more ioctl mess ;)
>
> That would be _greatly_ appreciated! The question is, would this be
> 'portable' to other drivers? In other words, how much trouble would it cost
> me to get AudioFS to work with SCSI?

Getting AudioFS to work with SCSI drives is non-trivial, if you want it to
work with a wide variety of drives.

The reason is that different SCSI CDROM vendors had (have?) different ways
of reading CD audio data off the drive.

If you just want it to work with MMC-compliant drives, it might not be
that hard to implement.

If you want it to work with more than just MMC-compliant drives (and there
are a lot of them out there), it'll take a fair number of quirk entries and
device-specific code to do it.

For an idea of the variety of different drives out there, take a look at
tosha or cdda2wav (comes with cdrecord).  They handle most of the drives on
the market.  (Thus the reason I didn't put all the code in the driver to do
it.)

If you decide you want to tackle it, let me know.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org