Date:      Thu,  4 May 1995 14:45:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat_Barron@transarc.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Audio driver - please enlighten me ....

I'm trying to get a regular old SoundBlaster (8-bit) card to be
/dev/audio in my 486DX/33 machine.  It's at the standard place -
ioaddr 220, irq 7, drq 1.  I have "controller snd0" and "device sb0"
configured.  My machine's parallel port also uses irq 7, but I have it
disabled in the configuration.

When I try to push an 8-bit u-law file out /dev/audio, I hear the
first little bit (like .25 to .5 second) of the sound file, and then
it hangs.  Hitting ^C stops it.  Trying it again results in another
hang, at exactly the same place in the sound file.

I'm running -current, if that matters.

What do I have to do to make this work?  Any hints from the sound card
experts?

--Pat.