Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:30:21 +0200
From:      "Chris Knipe" <savage@savage.za.org>
To:        "Dragan Mickovic" <dmickovic@verio.net>, "Z. Frazier" <zfrazier@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        "faSty" <fasty@i-sphere.com>, "Craig Miller" <craig@millerfam.net>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wierdness in my security report

Just FYI...

> there for the MAC address will change. I don't know how they have it
configured,
> but if the primary comes back to normal operation and has a higher
prioraty
> than the secondary switch the RP will go back to using the primary switch
> and there for will change the MAC address again.

The primary router has a priority lower than the secondaries (lowest
available priority gets the virtual IP).

<From Cisco>
Routers running HSRP communicate HSRP information between each other, via
HSRP hello packets. These packets are sent to the destination IP multicast
address 224.0.0.2 (reserved multicast address used to communicate to all
routers) on User Datagram Protocol (UDP) port 1985. These hello packets are
sourced with the configured IP address on the interface and the burned-in
MAC address of the interface, as opposed to the HSRP or virtual IP and MAC
address. This use of source addressing is necessary so that HSRP routers can
correctly identify each other.

The only exception to the above behavior is for Cisco 2500, 4000, and 4500
routers. These routers have Ethernet hardware that only recognizes a single
MAC address. Therefore, these routers will use the HSRP MAC address when
they are the active router, and their burned-in address for HSRP hello
packets.
</SNIP>

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/62.shtml Might be helpfull.  It
explains how to understand and troubleshoot HSRP, and also gives a complete
detailed explanation of how HSRP actually works (in much more depth than I
just did here)...

--
me