Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:30:48 +0100
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Snorre_D._=D8verb=F8=22?=" <snorre@overbo.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-8.0 ZFS issue: How to set kva_pages=512 when using the kernel from the Install dvd

Hi all,

 I=92m trying to an install a ZFS-only system using this recipe:=20
http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/UFSBoot

When I copy the FreeBSD-base to the new zfs file system, everything =
stops. I get a kernel panic with this message:
"panic: kmem_malloc()16384): kmem_map to small", and the whole box =
freezes.

The FreeBSD handbook recommends to set KVA_PAGES=3D512. But how do you =
do that if your installing on a new blank hard disk, using the install =
DVD?

I don=92t have more than 1024 mb ram on my machine, so it=92s maybe =
difficult to run ZFS on it anyway?=20

=20
Snorre D. =D8verb=F8

=20