Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:17:57 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port based VLAN

--------------enigCDA259ACC51800C69AD08D5A

On 22/12/2010 11:15, Indexer wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I plan to make a FreeBSD based router sometime soon. I would like to be=
 able to do port based vlanning on the router, so that a client computer =
that plugs into that socket is "dumb" to the vlans' existance.
>=20
> IE
>=20
> em0 - untagged
> em1 - vlan 1
> em2 - vlan 2
>=20
> Is what i want to achieve (as a simple example). This way i can use unm=
anaged switches on em2, and all clients behind that are to the router on =
vlan2
>=20
> How does one go about this on freebsd.
>=20

In /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_em1=3D"up -vlanhwtag" # You may or may not want hwtag -- try bot=
vlans_em1=3D"vlan1"
ifconfig_em2=3D'up -vlanhwtag"
vlans_em2=3D"vlan2"

create_args_vlan1=3D"vlan 1"
ipv4_addrs_vlan1=3D"192.168.12.34/24"

create_args_vlan2=3D"vlan 2"
ipv4_addrs_vlan2=3D"192.168.56.78/24"

The em0 i/f should be configured as usual.  This will create virtual
interfaces vlan1 and vlan2 which you can apply firewall rules to etc.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3