Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 09:45:34 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum

On Friday, 26 January 2001 at  7:32:49 -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> Okay, I've been at this the better part of the night, and reading the
> mailing list doesn't seem to help.
>
> I'm pertty much at this point:
>
> I need to label a partition for vinum.  From what I can gather from
> Greg's postings the disk does not have to have any partitions on it, nor
> does it have to have any slices labeled.  All it seems to need is
> disklabel -e.

Well, it needs partitions alright.  That's what disklabel does.

>>> That's all you need.  I'm assuming that you're using an older version
>>> of FreeBSD.  Do 'disklabel -e da0' and it should work.

Hmm.  Not quite correct for a completely virgin disk.  See below.

> (in my case it's ad4 and ad6, but...)
>
> # /dev/ad4:
> type: unknown
> disk: amnesiac
> label: fictitious

I think this means that it's an idea in the mind of disklabel, and
there's nothing out there at all.  I think this is a bug in disklabel,
but you could try

  # disklabel -w -r ad4 auto

Then you need to create the Vinum partition with disklabel -e.

> Here's the funny part.  I've tried creating FreeBSD partitions on the
> disks (but never labeled them) using /stand/sysinstall.  The above did not
> change at all.
>
> Even if I make no changes to the file, I get:
>
> disklabel: Operation not supported by device
> re-edit the label? [y]:

I suspect you didn't write the configuration you specified in
sysinstall.  The 'w' command should write a partition table, and it's
an alternative to the disklabel command above.

> Now I've also seen the vinum docs say that partition C is not usable, as
> it refers to the entire disk.  Well, there aren't any others there.

That's not the issue.  Make one.  First, unwrap the line:

   c: 40011300        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 39693*)

Then add another line with changed parameters:

   h: 40011300        0    vinum        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 39693*)

That's all you need to do.

> Greg, help please!

If you want my help, copy me on the message.  I get 1400 messages a
day, and I often delete messages without reading them.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.