Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:16:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Clark Mankin <cmankin@harbornet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD network hired guns?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Clark Mankin wrote:

> For example, whereas it's true my "default router", as you call it,
> is at IP 209.180.198.22 I can only get there on eth0 (xl0 - ep0 ??)
> via the gateway of 0.0.0.0 and unfortunately BSD is completely
> unwilling to accept this information.  It's as though BSD expects me
> to have a hard wired direct connection to the gateway device.
> That's not how I'm configured.  I have an ethernet router connected
> to a switch that feeds the other machines on the network.  \\

Right, I've just checked this. The working of the Linux routing table
(and the output of netstat -rn) are a little misleading.

You need to do the following:

- allocate the appropriate IP address for your FBSD machine, and let it
  know what that is (eg, 209.180.198.17); similarly, let it know the
  netmask for that address.

- tell the FBSD machine that its "default gateway" is 209.180.198.22.

From this, it will be able to calculate that the default router is on
the same subnet as your NIC, and route traffic appropriately.

Once you get this going, look at the output of netstat -rn on your FBSD
machine; you'll see that it looks a little different (you'll be seeing
things like "link#1" in the gateway column instead of 0.0.0.0).

Hope this helps,

jan

HP-unix: Open Sauce product, available in 57 distributions.