Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:01:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emacs directories in BSD.local.dist

 * Just curious as to why share/emacs and share/emacs/site-lisp are created by
 * BSD.local.dist instead of by the emacs ports which might want to use them?
 * It's not a big deal, but it seems to me that these aren't useful for the
 * general case of someone not wanting to install an emacs port (strange as that
 * may sound [1]). I suspect it's for historical reasons, but it doesnt mean it
 * can't be removed if sufficient time is deemed to have passed.

Actually it's the other way around.  It's created by BSD.local.dist so
that people who don't need emacs don't have to install them. :)

The problem is that many ports, some of which only install .el files
as a "by the way, you can use this from emacs too", fall over if this
directory is not around.  One solution is to add RUN_DEPENDS to emacs,
which causes a whole lot of unhappiness, of course.

So it's either those ports create the directory themselves or let
BSD.local.dist do it.  The latter was infinitely easier. :)

Satoshi