Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:27:17 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Yuri Vorobyev <vorob@yamalinfo.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: some strange things with ahc

>JTG> Boot -v and send me the complete dmesg output.  That should tell me=

>JTG> what is going on.

=2E..

>ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xfc00-0xfcff mem 0xfe9f=
f000-0
>xfe9fffff irq 11 at
>device 13.0 on pci0
>ahc0: Reading SEEPROM...checksum error
>ahc0: No SEEPROM available.
>ahc0: Using left over BIOS settings
>ahc0: Downloading Sequencer Program... 437 instructions downloaded
>aic7880: Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=3D7, 16/255 SCBs

=2E..

>(ahc0:A:4:0): Sending SDTR period 19, offset f
>(ahc0:A:4:0): Received SDTR period 19, offset f
>        Filtered to period 19, offset f
>ahc0: target 4 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset =3D 0xf
>(ahc0:A:2:0): Sending SDTR period 19, offset f
>(ahc0:A:2:0): Received SDTR period 19, offset f
>        Filtered to period 19, offset f
>ahc0: target 2 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset =3D 0xf
>(ahc0:A:1:0): Sending SDTR period 19, offset f
>(ahc0:A:1:0): Received SDTR period 19, offset f
>        Filtered to period 19, offset f
>ahc0: target 1 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset =3D 0xf

As far as the driver can tell, the BIOS has not set the ULTRA_ENB bits
in scratch ram.  This is why we only negotiate at 10MHz.  Strangely
enough, I have a similar motherboard (Intel, dual P6-200 Natoma, with
onboard 7880) where the BIOS does set the ultra enable bits as expected.
Are you sure that the SCSI-Select settings in your BIOS are set for ultra=

for these devices?  It could be that I "fixed" a bug in the setup code
of the driver that masked this problem for you in the past.  I spent a
bit of time this morning going over the code and it looks correct.

If your BIOS is setup correctly, I'll have to whip up some patches to mak=
the adapter setup more verbose.

--
Justin