Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 11:01:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Shaun Newcomer <shaun@ncweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pam_unix.so library problem

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Shaun Newcomer wrote:

> The question may or may not apply to this list but I have tried other
> lists to no avail.
>
> I have a Athlon 1.3 GHz box running 4.5 Release. Over the past few
> weeks I have consistently gotten these error messages. The first one
> has to do with starting or stopping Webmin. It is unclear to me
> whether this is a webmin problem, a perl problem, and OS problem
> (library), or a corrupted file system problem. The error message I
> receive is as follows:
>
> 	 May 12 21:05:50 www6 perl: unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
> 	 May 12 21:05:50 www6 perl: [dlerror: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so: Undefined
> symbol "pam_get_item"]
> 	 May 12 21:05:50 www6 perl: adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so

	You need to set an environment variable during the startup
	script for webmin like so:

	# setenv LD_PRELOAD /usr/lib/libpam.so.1

		OR

	# set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libpam.so.1

	Depending on your shell.

> The second problem is this recurring error message regarding my
> ethernet card. Is there some configuration that can be changed to
> resolve this?
>
> 	Fri May 10 08:47:40 dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> 	Fri May 10 08:47:51 dc0: watchdog timeout

	These problems are unrelated and this has to do with your network
	card.  AFAIK, this isn't a problem unless it happens all the
	time....but I'm not sure on this one.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets