Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 12:38:33 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

Michael Smith brags...

>> > The PC16550D (The "reference" part for 16550's) is specified to a 24MHz
input
>> > clock.
>>
>> And here I always thought it was the National Semiconductor part that was
>> the "reference" part, because the 16550 was originally their fault.  I still
>
>The PC16550D _is_ the NatSemi part.  It supersedes the PC16550C, and
>thus the NC16550* range.  The NS16550's haven't been available for
>some years now, AFAIK.  If you have some you bought recently, check the
>fab date on them.

>Likewise, which is why we fork out >$100 for these ones.  (They're
>absolutely everything you could ever want in a serial card; jumperable
>IRQ overy every imaginable value, switch-selectable base addresses in
>increments of 8 from 0x0 to 0x400, optional open-collector interrupt
>outputs, jumperable DTE/DCE pinouts, 18MHz bit clock dividable by 1, 2 5 or
>10... rah rah rah 8)

I really can't believe you guys are bragging about the widespread
utilization of
souped-up async. You still don't get the fact that you're losing several
hundred dollars
worth of machine (which brings the cost in-line with sync) to save a few
hundred on
cards for a less-efficient solution.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25