Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:22:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        DaleCo Help Desk <daleco@daleco.biz>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Port 514 unsafe? open to outside?

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, DaleCo Help Desk wrote:
> PL> I ran `nmap` on my local IP and the only "interesting" port it
> PL> found was 514.  What is this port?  I don't understand "shell," and "cmd."
>
> $'man rshd'
>
> And that said, if you don't want it on, perhaps you
> should turn it off ....it must be enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.
> Comment it out and -HUP the inetd process....

# grep rshd /etc/*.conf
/etc/inetd.conf:#shell  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd      rshd
/etc/inetd.conf:#kshell stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd      rshd -k
/etc/inetd.conf:#shell  stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd      rshd

Where else could rshd be getting launched from?  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ ?

> PL> How do I find out if sendmail is trying to work "inboundedly?"  I know it
> PL> works outbound because I am about to send this message ;-]

> Not sure what you're asking.  If you're receiving mail, sendmail
> by default puts it in /var/mail, in an appropriately titled file.
> That, I believe, it the standard config.....
> Kevin Kinsey

To receive incoming email, sent for example to root@[my.ip.here] don't you
need MX records and qualified/registered domain name info??  I haven't been
able to send email to myself yet :(

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder