Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 15:03:33 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUS PnP and 2.1.5-RELEASE

Sean Eric Fagan wrote in message ID
<199609101747.KAA06289@kithrup.com>:
> Oh, bugger.  I should have let people know what my status was ;).

> I grabbed some files from amancio's machine, and found one that seemed to be
> 2.1-ish related.  I replaced the sound directory in sys/i386/isa with that,
> and, voila, it worked.

Ah. Okie. We've gone different paths :)

> >gpalmer@mutara:~> uname -a
> >FreeBSD mutara.noc.webspan.net 2.1.5-STABLE FreeBSD 2.1.5-STABLE #9: Mon Sep
>   9 00:55:58 EDT 1996     root@mutara.noc.webspan.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/MU
> TARA  i386
> >gpalmer@mutara:~> dmesg
> >[ .. SNIP .. ]
> >Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
> >Board Vendor ID: GRV0001     Board Serial Number: 00002675
> >        Configuring (Logical Device 1)
> >        Configuring (Logical Device 2)
> >        Configuring (Logical Device 3)
> >        Configuring (Logical Device 4)
> >        Configuring (Logical Device 5)
> >[ .. SNIP .. ]
> >gus0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 flags 0x7 on isa
> >gus0: <Gravis UltraSound 2.4 (256k)>
> >[ .. BLAH .. ]

> However, mine says *NOTHING* like that!  I am confused, now.  (The machine
> is offright now because it's a power-mad beastie, and dreadfully insecure as
> well, so I don't leave it on when I'm not home, generally.)

That's 'cos I use Sujal's PnP test code. It's a beast to configure,
but is probably `nicer' than just trying to treat PnP cards as ISA
cards. I'm gonna ask Sujal about my card ... I dunno why it's not
working right :-(

> >However, I've yet to get it to make so much as a beep :-(
>
> On the other hand, mine *does* work, and I can even get it to play musinc
> and whatnot.  (And, using this "rsynth program in ports, I can get it to say
> its own name.  I'm so proud of it.  And it's only three weeks old. *sniff*)

Awww. :-)

So you have your card working? Hmm. Mebbe I'm barking up the wrong
tree :-(

> >(The PnP tar.gz file in /incoming on freefall has a 2.1.5 patch too)

> Hm.  Fascinating.  THe stuff I grabbed was sound-specific, so I assum
> ethat's why mine works, although it doesn't print out the neat stuff yours
> does.  My card also has no ram on it (which I will probably fix soon, since
> 30 pin simm's are dirt cheap.)

Yeah.

Gary