Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:50:39 -0400
From:      Steven Friedrich <steven.e.friedrich@gmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD 10.0 to GPT volume

I have tried everything that I can gleen from the gpart, gptboot, boot0cfg
man pages as well as the handbook.

I have noticed several bugs in the new install, which I find odd, since it's
been around since ver 5 or so.

Does bsdinstall write boot code to gpt partitions?

I have tried to install several times, even using gpart to write boot code
to the GPT partition as well as a freebsd-boot partition.  I've installed a
protective mbr.  Nothing appears to work.

The drive is a 3TB Toshiba USB 3.0 external drive.  The computer is a
Samsung series 7 CHRONOS with Pheonix BIOS with UEFI support.  I have tried
UEFI enabled and disabled.

The laptop is an Intel CORE i7.  This should run amd64, not ia64, right?

Under what circumstances would you use bios-boot or efi partitions?  Neither
were shown as examples on gpart man page.

---