Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:01:11 +0100
From:      andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD 4.4 Hardware Compatibility Question DELL PowerEdge 2550 / Compaq Proliant ML370

Hi !

Hmm, I think this didn=B4t made it into the mailinglists, because of
crossposts I did, because a part of the question had a SCSI and
SMP specific background. Sorry if you should get it twice.

So again to -hardware in the hope it works now.
*Please* Cc: to me, since I=B4m not subscribed to the lists
from my customers account.

I need some advice to order a high performance
hardware for a fine FreeBSD server that should act
as: Network Monitoring system, CVS Server, etc ....

The customer is large and usually orders standard
machines (bundles) from DELL, HP, COMPAQ.
There are options in the order process, but not many.
Unfortunately I don=B4t know all hardware in the DELL
and COMPAQ rackmountable workgroup servers.
Hope you can help me. BTW, the DELL machine
claims to run on Linux, so I hope on FreeBSD 4.4
as well ...

Hairy is the thing with RAID Level 5.
I=B4d like to have RAID Level 5 for the whole
FreeBSD installation.

Does somebody know the below mentioned
PERC/3 Di Dual RAID Array Controller , 2-channel, 128 MB Cache

Is this something like Hardware RAID, that presents
itself as one Disk to FreeBSD ? Or is it a thingie
that needs driver support ??? I=B4m clueless here.

Is the on board SCSI chip good supported I remember
problems with U160 Adaptec controllers in the past
(over half year ago).

Other questions are, does the chipset run well ?

Any experiences with SMP or assumptions ?

Any comments on NICs ? I think only the Intel 10/100
is on board, since price list claims, that other cards
are separate payable options ... a little bit bad structured
in the offer *sigh*

The machines in question:

Dell PowerEdge 2550/1130
     - 19" Rack, 2 HE
     - Intel P III (CopperMine) dual proc architecture
     - ServerWorks ServerSet High-End SuperLite chipset,
        133 MHz Front side bus
     - 2 x P III CPU, 1.13 GHz, 512 KB Cache
     - Video: ATI Rage XL, 8 MB SDRAM
     - 1 GB (2x512) ECC SDRAM (max 4GB)
     - 3 PCI Slots
     - Dual Utra III SCSI Controller, U160,  (Adaptec 7899) on board
     - PERC/3 Di Dual RAID Array Controller , 2-channel, 128 MB Cache
     - Backplane SCSI, active, 4 Plugins for 1" SCSI Harddisks
     - 4 x 18 GB U3-SCSI Harddisks, 10.000, 17 GB
     - 3.5" Floppy
     - IDE CD-ROM
     - Intel Pro 10/100 on board
     - Broadcom 10/100/1000 copper gigabit nic on board
     - Intel Dualport Pro 100+ NIC, PCI
     - DRAC-II server management card
       Open Manage Server Assistant & IT Assistant software (I think th=
is
       is only for Win2000...)
     - 2 redundant power supply a 300W
     - Price List claims: RedHat Linux 7.2 should run on it ...

Compaq Proliant ML370
     - 2 x PIII. 1 GHz, 256K Cache
     - 1 GB 133 MHz SD-RAM (4x256)
     - NC3163 Fast Ethernet NIC Embedded 10/100 WOL
     - Dual Channel Ultra2 SCSI Adapter (hmm  doesn=B4t say which)
     - 4 x 64 Bit PCI, 2 x 32 Bit PCI
     - 32-IDE CD-ROM
     - Smart Array 5302/64 Controller (Ultra III, 2 channel, 64MB Cache=
)
     - 3 x 18 GB U3W Harddisks, 1", 10K U/Min (RAID5)
     - Remote Insight board
     - Redundant power supply

Many thanks

     Andreas ///