Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:45:52 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   More odd login failures on RELENG-4.6 (OpenSSH)

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 12:38:11AM -0700, stable-digest wrote:
> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:21:25 +0100
> From: Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
> Subject: telnet "SRA secure login" fails intermittently
>
> When I telnet into a FreeBSD box, I get this:
>
>   $ telnet spong
>   Trying 192.168.0.1...
>   Connected to spong.my.domain
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>   Trying SRA secure login:
>   User (nb): <user>
>   Password: <password>
>
> If I mistype the password, I get this:
>
>   [ SRA login failed ]
>   User (nb): <user>
>   Password: <password>
>
> And so on.  Fair enough.  But it has seemed to me that I have been
> "mistyping my passwords" much more often since about 4.1: maybe 20% of
> the time, as if somehow telnetd (or SRA, whatever that is) is getting
> the password check wrong intermittently.  And If I fail a login the
> first time, it seems harder to pass it the second time (the ~20%
> failure rate goes up to maybe 50%).

  I've experienced some anomalous login failures with SSH (OpenSSH 3.4
from the latest /usr/ports) on a box that was upgraded this weekend to
4.6.  I don't know if this is a related issue.  The upgrade was done
via a 4.6-RELEASE CD install, followed by cvsup to the RELENG-4.6 tag
and the usual "buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/reboot/
installworld" sequence.

  Immediately after my first attempt to activate the updated SSH, I was
completely unable to log in on my own account with my password, after
multiple tries.  I backed the SSH upgrade out and tried again the next
morning.  I again experienced consistent login failures.  After doing a
chpass on my account, resetting it to the same password value it
already had. I was able to login normally.  I thought this might be a
problem with the crypted password format used (the _J9 prefix) in my
original entry, as the master.passwd entry was copied from another
system using vipw.  However, other users were subsequently able to log
in, even though their password entries were in the old format, and
we've experienced no such problems on a different system running
RELENG-4.5, which has the same mix of formats for crypted passwords.

  I'm baffled.

  At the moment I don't seem to be experiencing the intermittent login
failures you're describing, but I would swear I had a couple failures
to log in last night using the correct password.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
"What do we need to make our world come alive?