Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:59:38 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'Robert3085@aol.com'" <Robert3085@aol.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FIPS QUESTIONS.......

Robert, first and foremost, you have to always backup your data before you
attempt doing anything that alters that disk in the way tha FIPS does.  For
that matter you should before installing any OS, anyway.

	No. What FIPS does is resize the existing partition(s) to make free
space on the drive to add another partition (similar to something like
partition magic, but w/o the bells and whistles).  It would probably be in
your best interest to defragment your DOS partition(s) before running FIPS.
Also, FreeBSD is not DOS, and does not use DOS partitions.  The installation
will take you through creating FreeBSD partitions.

> 2) the doc states that i need an ERRORS.TXT file for fips, If so where can
> find it @ FreeBSD.org. It was not in the tools directory with the
> executable.

	I couldn't find it on the site anywhere, except in this ZIP file.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/dist/fips20.zip
	I can't imaging an ERRORS.TXT being required, but I may be wrong on
this account.

> 3) do I need to run a boot manager to actively boot into FeeBSD. I ask
> this
> question yesterday and some replied that the install process of FreeBSD
> will
> install one for you?

	Yes.  and yes.  You will need to run a boot manager to switch
between operating systems.  And the installation will give you an option to
do so.

> Any help with fips be great. I'm just a little nervous to run it and not
> understand a little more about it.

	Did you read through http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html?
This is a must for a 1st time installation.

> Bob Brozewicz
> MVS Systems Programmer

	Hope this helps,

	-Chris