Date:      31 Dec 1996 19:54:35 +0100
From:      tinguely@plains.nodak.edu (Mark Tinguely)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPfilter and NAT

yes, I have run the IP filter and NAT on 2.1.5 (2.1.6 should not be any
different). I needed to run the version 3.1.2beta instead of ip filter 3.1.1.

yes, you need to enable the GATEWAY feature.

the ipnat error sounds like you did not load the loadable kernel module
before running the nat rules.

I use kernel ppp with the IP filter/NAT and use a simple script to
load the kernel loadble module, and figure out the new IP address
and then issue the ipnat instructions. I will put my scripts in
  ftp://www.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu/nat-scripts/
for you to look at.

--mark.