Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:32:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        pippo@bellnet.ca
Cc:        m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk (Matthew Seaman), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add space

> At 05:14 PM 10/26/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps I have to install a boot manager - but which & how?
>
> I don't think it would be that much trouble to use Partition Magic, delete
> slice1 and then reo the fdisk and the rest of the mounting process - but I
> should then install the boot manager - but will it install it on slice 1
> (ad0s1) ? I suppose from there, the boot manager should poinbt to slice 2
> to boot...

I don't think the boot manager goes in any slice.
It goes before them in the boot sector.  It gets read up and
executed and it lets you select which bootable slice you want to
boot up.

I have only used the boot manager that gets put in when you select
it on a FreeBSD install.  It has worked fine for me.  It indentifies
stuff in an NTFS slice as ???, but that doesn't bother because I know
what it is referring to.

But, there are some other popular ones available that some people
like, that look nicer and let you select boot in nice gui looking
screens.

Just make sure you install the FreeBSD boot manager after you install
any Microsloth stuff, because that will wipe out anything you had
in theree no matter what you try to tell it.

////jerry