Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:11:24 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lucent Wavelan and 4.2 works like a charm.

Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org> probably said:
> This is not true. Ad-hoc mode is part of the 802.11 standard and IMO is
> more useful for a home network than the added expense of an access point.
> Ad-hoc mode will not be removed from 802.11 as it represents a valuable
> part of the LAN configuration.

but it's being removed from lucent's Windows drivers in favor of a slightly
different mode.

The actual discussion was about making adhoc no longer the _default_
not removing it from the freebsd driver. As wireless becomes more and
more common, fewer and fewer people will use adhoc, IMO.

If you are doing adhoc it usually means you're at home and can do an
installation over ether instead. I've already had to create a fixit
floppy (containing wicontrol) for several friends trying to install
freebsd at work where there were base stations as the only
connectivity available for laptops.

Hopefully bringing the wicontrol functionality into ifconfig will
remove this problem since you can then just change the mode with
'extra options to ifconfig' in sysinstall.

> An infrastructure network offers you two things over ad-hoc
>         - power saving
>         - distributed services
> Power saving is useful. A distributed service requires multiple access points
> connected to provide a wide coverage area.
> Both of these could be implemented in FreeBSD and I will be looking at both
> of these.

Power saving has already been implemented.
  wicontrol -P 1

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu