Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 01:04:27 -0000
From:      "Richard Stockley" <rws@procopia.demon.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Rossen Raykov" <rraykov@sage-consult.com>
Subject:   Re: TomCat 4 and scratchDir and Tomcat for BSD

Hi,

> Hi All,
>
> To someone know how to set the scratchDir used by jasper/tomcat 4 to some
> different location then the default "work"?
> I didn't find any documentation about that. I try some things with
> server.xml and web.xml but without success...
> I am interested also from an URL from which I can download jasper sources.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rossen

As far as I am aware for Tomcat 3.2.1 (I haven't tried 4 yet) the work
folder is specified in the server.xml - thus

<ContextManager debug="0" workDir="work" showDebugInfo="true" >

where work is relative to your $TOMCAT_HOME - if you change the workDir
directive you can force it to be created elsewhere - though if you omit it,
it defaults to 'work' in the $TOMCAT_HOME directory. I think that it still
has to be called 'work' whereever you put it but don't quote me on that.
Obviously I'm not sure if there is a fundamental difference in Tomcat 4

Onto the Tomcat for BSD Issue - I am a recent convert to FreeBSD and have
been working at putting together a tomcat port which, to please our
sysadmin, actually keeps to the BSD hierarchy. Basically in order to do I
needed to use the src version of tomcat and servletapi so I could tweak it.
As a result the 'conf' folder defaults to /usr/local/etc/tomcat, the
binaries are put in /usr/local/bin, libs are in
usr/local/share/java/classes, logs
in /var/log and docs in /usr/local/share/doc/java/tomcat. The Port sets the
$TOMCAT_HOME to /usr/local/www and creates the webapps and work
directory there.  have also tweaked it so that the mod-jk.conf-auto is
actually pointing
/usr/local/libexec/apache. I also patched mod_jk so it works (I found the
supplied Makefile generated an unusable module). Before anybody asks you can
replace all mentions of /usr/local with $PREFIX.....

One of the caveats to working with src ditribution is that you need a port
of ant also - which several have been submitted but not committed so I have
written my own based on the recent 1.3 release which also works within the
BSD hierarchy. The other caveat is that I split tomcat into several separate
ports , servletapi, tomcat, mod_jk and I also put together a binary port of
the jsse package from sun. In my experience tomcat 3.2.1 will compile on all
four of the FreeBSD JDK ports but for jdk1.2.2, linux-jdk1.2.2 and 1.3.0 you
have to have the jsse jars to get it to work. The ports i've made reflect
that issue also.

Basically I was wondering if people out there felt this was worth
submitting - I've noticed java ports generally do not make it to the commit
stage readily though i'm not sure if this is lack of interest or some other
issue. I also realise a binary install of tomcat would only require one
download not up to four!! and also some people actually prefer preformed
jar's but for tomcat at least this restricts them to installations into
/usr/local/tomcat or similar. This solution may be somewhat overkill but it
was fun writing it.

Since I also got into this whole porting lark as a way of learning to use
jsp / servlets this port would need testing with some real life examples
which i haven't really done very much yet.

please let me know if this is of any use and I can submit them.

--
Richard Stockley: Internet Developer - rws@procopia.com
Procopia Ltd  UK