Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 23:23:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        julian@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suspicion of stuffup in wuftp port

> >the wu-ftpd package is statically linked and appears to be linked to DES crypt
> >you can't log in except as 'ftp' no matter what.....
> >
> >julian
>
> Oooh that is bad.  We linked it static for performance reasons.  Satoshi,
> what do you want to do about this?  The easiest thing would be to just
> cludge the package for the 2.1 release by building it on a machine with
> MD5 crypt.
On OSF we can force a linking with all the libs except what is wanted
by specifically mentionning them in the link line.. if this works
for FreeBSD we could 'statically link' everything except -lcrypt.. ?

would that be a compromise?
does it work?

how about two of them, and let the user select?
(he has to edit /etc/inetd.conf anyhow)