Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:01:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>
Cc:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk quota overriding

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Fernando Schapachnik wrote:
> Are you aware that, due to nature of hardlinks the only extra space is
> same that for an empty file? Due to this, how many empty files do you
> think it takes to eat the whole space of / ?

They take *less* space than an empty file, just the directory entry. You
can see how muchh by looking at the size of the '.' grow when you add one.
An empty file still takes an inode, as an 'ls -li [filename]' will show.

Now a small amount of anything multiplied by a large number can amount to
something. If you have a small root, I can see where you could overwhelm
it. It will also take longer and longer to ann the links and lookups in
/tmp will take forever.

Dmitry Valdov wrote:
> > Because /tmp directory usually owned by root that why quotas has no effect.
> > *Directory* size of /tmp can be grown up to available space on / filesystem.

My favorite way is a /tmp filesystem. It solves stability problems
unrelated to quotas as well. Same goes for /home if you have real users
on your system (not just a server) - Jy@