Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2010 19:50:08 GMT
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/151896: increasing kmem_size in loader.conf panic

The following reply was made to PR i386/151896; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To: Karl-Heinz Wild <kh.wild@barga.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:43:06 +0100

 On Nov 2, 2010, at 8:31 PM, Karl-Heinz Wild wrote:

 >=20
 >> Number:         151896
 >> Category:       i386
 >> Synopsis:       increasing kmem_size in loader.conf panic
 >> Confidential:   no
 >> Severity:       serious
 > We are running a Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.27 machine with an 3ware =
 controller do serve 5.7 TG storage ofer zfs.
 >=20
 > When running the server with the given 16 GB Ram we are unable do =
 increase inside the loader.conf the settings vm.kmem_size and =
 vm.kmem_size_max over 320MB.
 >=20
 > After trying lots of values change the memory banks because of a =
 possible ram error without success.
 > Then we removed 8GB and afterwards it was possible to extend the =
 kmem_size to 512MB.
 >=20
 >=20
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 > Running -Current from 29.Oct 2010 with PAE on a system with 16GB =
 Memory, an 3ware Raid controller and PAE config: KVM_PAGES 512
 >=20
 > loader.conf:
 > vm.kmem_size=3D"512M"
 >=20

 Yes well, i386 is not designed to handle more then 4gb of memory, while =
 the PAE set does allow for some more memory you _need_ amd64 to get 16gb =
 available and addressable.
 I honestly do not think you can ever get that far with i386 (not even =
 with PAE).

 --=20
 /"\   Best regards,                        | remko@FreeBSD.org
 \ /   Remko Lodder                      |
 X    http://www.evilcoder.org/    | Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
 / \   ASCII Ribbon Campaign    | Against HTML Mail and News