Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:59:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
To:        Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>
Cc:        Michael Chong <MichaelC@fool.com>, "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

>I think what you're looking for is something similar (or exactly
>like) 'sudo'..

sudo definitely helps if it's carefully administered, but it still
grants root access to a file, which may not really be what you want.
As a Unix advocate in general, I'm looking forward to seeing how well
Sun does this.  ACLs are one of the things that NTFS does well, and
Unix traditionally doesn't really provide for.  In an environment like
ours, where we have a plethora of community members and volunteers
doing various things on our Solaris system, you quickly discover the
limits of sudo's ability to dispense privileges surgically without
creating security holes.

You can do a lot with carefully configured groups, but as the number
of users increases and the system activities become more disparate,
this gets complicated...

My $.02 -d