Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 20:51:18 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NCR controller with CAM...

On 1998-07-29 18:42 -0500, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Jul 22 21:39:17 n4hhe /kernel: ncr0:0: ERROR (a0:0) (8-0-0) (f/3d) @ (mem fa80003c:003247fc).

Well, lets see:

DSTAT= 0xA0: DMA Fifo Empty + **Bus Fault**

The PCI chip-set signaled a failure to read or write
system memory. This is typically caused by defective
or over-clocked hardware !

The other situation that may lead to the kind of
failure is a buggy chip-set. This happened more often
in pre-PCI 2.0 times (the Saturn I and some other i486
chip-sets had bugs, which could be worked around by
conservative PCI feature and cache settings ...).

It is possible, that some of the new Super Socket-7
chip-sets are not completely safe to use under high
PCI bus-master load and with all performance options
enabled, but I don't expect that kind of problem in
any current chip-set, actually.

> I wonder if I have some health reporting feature turned on and FreeBSD
> doesn't know what to do with it?

No, there is an actual hardware problem, and the PCI
chip-set signals this error condition to the NCR,
which can't proceed. The current command has to be
aborted. The driver should recover from that state,
but this is not easy to verify, since it is not
easy to produce such a situation.

If you are overclocking your system (or even just the
chip-set and PCI bus), then please try with a specified
clock frequency. If your memory may be too slow, then
check out a less aggressive memory timing (the timing
may have to be more conservative if another memory
module is added).

Regards, STefan