Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2006 01:23:43 -0600
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: homemade PVR questions

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 03:33:49PM -0500, Nicolas Blais wrote:

> That means that I can record a show (audio/video) correctly, but at the cost
> of hearing the audio while it is recording. Obviously annoying unless I turn
> off my speakers, and I haven't found a way around (playing with mixer to turn
> down the volume obviously turns down the recorded volume too).

Obviously?  On every machine I've used (mostly AC97), the volume levels of
line, mic, etc. determine the volume sent to the speakers and the "rec"
level specifies the recording volume.  My current DVR script does a

	mixer =rec line
	mixer line 0
	mixer rec ${volume}

(in that order) to setup the recording volume and disable the output to the
speakers so it doesn't disrupt my xmms playing;  yes, I listen to mp3s
while the DVR script is recording the TV audio-- what's wrong with that??
:-p

After the recording finishes (or catches a SIGTERM, etc.), the mixer's
recording source & line/rec volumes are restored;  I never notice any
disruption.

Are there soundcards where the "rec" level doesn't specify the recording
volume, or that the record level is determined by the other volume
settings?  If so, they would be more useful for mixing..  then again a
cheap AC97 chip isn't really "professional studio" grade...

-- Rick C. Petty