Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 1996 09:23:42 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X for install

> Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > I've often stated my willingness to do the "GUI" grot that would be
> > required to make all those nifty auto-configuration screens come up,
> > but the `NTDETECT' side of things is not really in my area of
> > expertise.  Knowing how to stomp around in the PC memory & I/O address
> > spaces and deal (hopefully) robustly with errors and cards going wiggy
> > when probed is a black art.  Any black magicians out there interested
> > in starting a `FreeBSD Detect 1.0' project? :-)
>
> Sure.  I require about half a million bucks to do it.  The _only_ way to
> do this _properly_ is to buy several of everything.  Microsoft can do this,
> we can't. 8(

Well, somebody make come in with a cheaper offer then :-)

Michael, as one who has "been there, done that" for the last two and
a half release, I feel a little bit like telling you to put some effort
where your mouth is.

Here is a nice little project for you, that will not cost a fortune
to do:

Needed HW:
		some random PC.
		1 ide disk
		1 scsi disk with BIOS support.

Assignment:

	1)
		Make sure that the sd0 and wd0 drivers know exactly
		what geometry the bios do/would have used for these
		two drives.

	2)
		Remember to make it work even if the scsi disk is
		the boot disk (by disabling the ide disk in the bios).

	3)
		Now make it general so it handles all cases you
		can think of.

	4) 	Now make it general so it handles all cases >I< can
		think of.

Happy hacking.
whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.