Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:32:31 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change UDMA mode on ata drives

User & Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> > Actually, according to the spec sheets for this drive, you need an 80 pin
> > for anything ata33 or faster. Thus plugging in a 40pin will slow the thing
> > down to 16MB/sec. Not what I want, but if it proves reliable, it will be
> > one step closer to having this problem solved!
>
>         I'm not sure which one to believe, the FreeBSD man page, or the drive's
> specs.  The man ata says 66 and above for the 80 conductor cable.  I'm
> using a 40 conductor now and dmesg has my drive at 33 UDMA.(It's a Maxtor).
> As far as how it works, I guess searching online is the best route.

Looking over the manual again, I'm guessing that it was cheaply translated
from some other language. In other words, "All you base are belong to us"
Probably they meant "80 conductor required for faster than ata33" and it
translated to "80 conductor required for ata33 and faster"
Every other source that I've found so far claims that up to ata33 will work
with 40 conductor, while 80 conductor is required for ata66 and faster. In
addition, I plugged a 40 conductor into the connection and the ata bios warned
that it was throttling back to ata33, so I'm guessing the IBM docs are wrong.

-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the