Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:33:30 GMT
From:      "Andries J. Algera" <andries@csr-lpf.ibama.gov.br>
Subject:   NIS maps and passwd file formats problem?

I recently installed Freebsd and would like to have it using
NIS for authentication. We already have a NIS+ server in NIS
mode running on a SPARC w/ Solaris 2.3.

The machine w/ FreeBSD seems to recognize perfectly well the
NIS server, commands like ypcat passwd give the result I
expect.

In order to be able to use the NIS-password map for loging in,
I put the following at the end of the password file (using
vipw)

+:::::::::

So one would expect to be able to log in. However to my
surprise I get the following error after typing a login name:

yp_order: clnt_call: RPC: Procedure unavailable

I suppose that the format of the password file and the NIS map
are different. I found the password file having the format as
described in passwd(5), whereas the NIS map has the following
format (7 fields instead of 10):

andries:z6rdfghast1.:330:30:Andries Algera:/home/vera:/bin/ksh

Could anyone out there help me to solve this problem.

Cheers,

Andries

Andries Algera
CSR - IBAMA