Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:43:32 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall.8 Breaking buildworld

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 02:38:55PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> Erm, sysinstall can be used as a replacement for fdisk and disklabel,
> both of which are in /sbin.  In fact, in 4.2 the only tool you can
> realistically use to splat a virgin disklabel onto a slice w/o weird
> hoop jumping that isn't documented _is_ sysinstall.  disklabel should
> have that fixed by 4.3, however.

But disklabel/fdisk can't even accept MB's as a unit.  Until they grow
the functionality of the NetBSD and OpenBSD versions of them, sysinstall
is really the only tolerable disk label manipulation tool our users have.
This includes those with a bummed /usr that needs to install a new disk
to get it back.

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 02:22:23PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Personally I would prefer it in src/usr.sbin/sysinstall and have it
> dynamically linked.

That would be OK, *once* our fdisk/disklable grows some modern [heck even
late 1990's] user interface.