Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:30:44 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        s0lanine <admin@cyrebels.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Subject:   Re: a port installation causes some problems... HELP!

* s0lanine <admin@cyrebels.org> [000424 11:08] wrote:
> Hi!
>
>     Today i tried to install editors/nedit from the ports collection,
> but it says:
>
> ===>  nedit-5.0.2 requires Motif. LessTif is an LGPL implementation of
> the Motif API. A port is available in ports/x11-toolkits/lesstif. Please
> see /etc/make.conf
>
>     So i went in x11-toolkits/lesstif and installed the lesstif port, it
> installed correctly, so i got back to editors/nedit, typed make install,
> and got the exact SAME error that said i needed motif blah blah blah...
> what the hell?
>

>     What i do now?

Ok, you'll need to uncomment the line '#HAVE_MOTIF=    yes' in
/etc/make.conf.

I was about to rudely suggest that you actually read /etc/make.conf
but instead I looked at it myself and noticed that it doesn't
mention lefftif at all, so I totally understand your confusion.

Something ought to be done:

a) the ports error about motif needs to reference /etc/defaults/make.conf
   as well as /etc/make.conf
b) this ports error should specifically mention HAVE_MOTIF
c) /etc/defaults/make.conf needs to explain that #HAVE_MOTIF _should be_
   set if the user installs lesstif.
? d1) the lesstif port should query the user to actually add HAVE_MOTIF
     to /etc/make.conf
  -or-
  d2) the lefftif port ought to inform the user to do so himself.

Please note that this message is heavily cc'd so be careful with
any replies.

thanks,