Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:10:13 -0600
From:      "Tony" <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ldconfig, libs, elf, aout, ports, headaches, pains and sorrow

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BE744C.2D0436E0

Greetings,=20
=20
    I'm having serious difficulties getting certain items to compile. =20
I'm using FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE with the upgrade package installed.
=20
Everything is pretty much standard issue release and portwise there.  My =
goal was to install kde or gnome 1.0.1 so I began installing all of the =
required programs such as db, docbook, xpm, png, tiff, jpeg, gif, imlib, =
etc.
=20
I like to stay current with source releases but if versions aren't too =
far off between a port and any source I can find I'll stick with the =
port.  (Our proxy's methods are so obscure CVSuping seems a pipe dream). =
KDE comes with support libraries that work just great for KDE but aren't =
necessarily current.
=20
The biggest problem I'm having is libraries.  Specifically ones like =
-jpeg, -tiff, -gif etc.  These libraries are ON my system.  I've ported =
them, packaged them, compiled them, uninstalled them and repeated the =
above ad-nauseum.  I've forced --with-extra-libs in configure scripts, =
I've rebuilt the hints files over and over.  The libraries are THERE but =
these configure scripts don't see them! 8(  ldconfig lists them as elf =
available libraries etc!

Let me see if I can toss some questions about to help clarify what might =
be happening.

1. How would I end up building aout libraries on an elf system with the =
OBJECT stuff set to elf?
2. Why would libraries not be seen by configure scripts even though they =
are quite obviously installed.
3. Are configure scripts (kdelibs-1.1) hard coded to REQUIRE older =
libraries?
4. Shouldn't I be able to force the building of shared libraries without =
fear that everything won't explode?
5. If a library is listed in ldconfig -r should it not be completely =
accessable by all of the tools used by configure scripts to determine =
what is available? If I have to specify where libraries are all the time =
what good is ldconfig??
6. Are these graphics libraries not backwards compatible?  (e.g. would =
kdelibs-1.1 neglect a newer graphics library in preference for an older =
one?)
7. How can I check a libraries version anyway??
8. Thanks if you read this far!!

As an example I ran the configure for imlib and it could not see many of =
my graphics libraries so I had to modify all of the Makefiles to point =
to -L/usr/local/lib -jpeg... -tiff etc etc before it would compile. =
ldconfig had all of these listed.

I NEVER had problems like this under the 2.2.X branch.  The most =
difficult problem I had prior to 3.1 was  LD_LIBRARY_PATH not being set! =
 Sorry if this is all a theoretical jumble but this whole mess is =
killing me!
=20
If you have ANY idea please let me know!!

TIA,
  Tony

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BE744C.2D0436E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Greetings, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm having serious difficulties =
getting=20
certain items to compile.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm using FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE with the upgrade =
package=20
installed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Everything is pretty much standard issue release and =
portwise=20
there.&nbsp; My goal was to install kde or gnome 1.0.1 so I began =
installing all=20
of the required programs such as db, docbook, xpm, png, tiff, jpeg, gif, =
imlib,=20
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I like to stay current with source releases but if =
versions=20
aren't too far off between a port and any source I can find I'll stick =
with the=20
port.&nbsp; (Our proxy's methods are so obscure CVSuping seems a pipe =
dream).=20
KDE comes with support libraries that work just great for KDE but aren't =

necessarily current.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The biggest problem I'm having is=20
libraries.&nbsp; Specifically ones like -jpeg, -tiff, -gif etc.&nbsp; =
These=20
libraries are ON my system.&nbsp; I've ported them, packaged them, =
compiled=20
them, uninstalled them and repeated the above ad-nauseum.&nbsp; I've =
forced=20
--with-extra-libs in configure scripts, I've rebuilt the hints files =
over and=20
over.&nbsp; The libraries are THERE but these configure scripts don't =
see them!=20
8(&nbsp; ldconfig lists them as elf available libraries =
etc!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Let me see if I can toss some questions about to =
help clarify=20
what might be happening.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1. How would I end up building aout libraries on an =
elf system=20
with the OBJECT stuff set to elf?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>2. Why would libraries not be seen =
by configure=20
scripts even though they are quite obviously installed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2>3. Are =
configure scripts=20
(kdelibs-1.1) hard coded to REQUIRE older libraries?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>4. Shouldn't I be able to force the building of =
shared=20
libraries without fear that everything won't explode?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>5. If a library is listed in =
ldconfig -r should=20
it not be completely accessable by all of the tools used by configure =
scripts to=20
determine what is available? If I have to specify where libraries are =
all the=20
time what good is ldconfig??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2>6. Are these =
graphics=20
libraries not backwards compatible?&nbsp; (e.g. would kdelibs-1.1 =
neglect a=20
newer graphics library in preference for an older one?)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>7. How can I check a libraries version =
anyway??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>8. Thanks if you read this far!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As an example I ran the configure for imlib and it =
could not=20
see many of my graphics libraries so I had to modify all of the =
Makefiles to=20
point to -L/usr/local/lib -jpeg... -tiff etc etc before it would =
compile.=20
ldconfig had all of these listed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I NEVER had problems like this under the 2.2.X =
branch.&nbsp;=20
The most difficult problem I had prior to 3.1 was&nbsp; LD_LIBRARY_PATH =
not=20
being set!&nbsp; Sorry if this is all a theoretical jumble but this =
whole mess=20
is killing me!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If you have ANY idea please let me =
know!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TIA,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp; Tony</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BE744C.2D0436E0--