Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   execve() security question

	This may be the wrong place to ask this question,
if so, my appologies and please direct me elsewhere. I am
 a newbie to FreeBSD having graduated from Linux U. ;-)

	My question has to do with the execve() system call:

Is it possible for the kernel to detect if the exec came
from the text area of a process?

	If it is possible for the kernel to tell where the
exec came from, then the kernel could disallow the exec
from the stack, or the heap or somewhere other then text.
This would eliminate buffer overflow threats, that try
to exec a shell.

	In my opinion, no legitimate code should ever need
to run in the data or the stack of a process. (This is
probably a hardware problem, however.)