Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:44:54 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

> > This may just be for Canadian French, but in my 13 years of study
> > and use, I've never seen a space before a '?' or a '!' or any
> > other punctuation mark.

> Randomly picking three (European) French books from the shelf, I see
> a space being used before '?' and '!' in two of them.  You can also
> observe the practice over in the fr.* groups or quite often in
> English articles posted by French speakers.

> > As for the different `opening and closing' marks, what was the
> > point to those??  I always found them to be very annoying and to
> > break the flow of the type.  ``just looks wrong''

> Excuse me, but what's the point of the American quotation marks? Why
> are *they* different?  And who introduced the bizarre concept of
> repeating the opening marks at every new paragraph?  Just looks
> wrong.

<funny>Eh, everything the Americans do is different and without
sense.  That's why I prefer the Canadian way.  :-)  </funny>

Personnally, I prefer the opening quotes ate the head of subsequent
paras, as it keeps the flow of the conversation/text in my mind.
But,
I am a very visually aesthetically inclined reader.  :-)

> More to the point, if you expand your horizon a bit, you'll learn
> that every language (or even major national variation) has its own
> typographic conventions.  Asking about their point and declaring the
> ones you happen to be used to as the right way is profoundly silly.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there.  I wasn't criticising, I was asking a
question?  I (still) don't know the reason (read: point) for the
different quote marks.  All quoting systems I've seen have been
symmetrical, with the exception of the ``text'' system (and now the
German one below).  All I was asking was why is it that way?

I know that every language has it's peculiarities and every typo
system does too (not to mention every alphabet), but, that's now what
I was aiming at.  Read above.

> American English quotating marks are ``text'', the British seem to
> prefer `text'.  The French use << text >>, German has >>text<< or
> ,,text``.  French and Russian introduce direct speech with a dash.
> And so on.  If you look closely, you may notice such subtle
> differences as opening curlies having their knob at the top or
> bottom end, etc.

Freddie
Software Support Co-op
School District 73