Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:31:46 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Multiple copies of FreeBSD

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

Hi
Please allow me to ask a few Qs. I've gotten relatively daft on this ocassi=
on.

Is it possible to run multiple copies of FreeBSD on the same box?
I have a box that already multiboots Windows (F1) and FreeBSD (F2).
This box has more space on some disk that i can still use to have a
backup copy of FreeBSD.
I have 3 disks on this box:
Disk1 --> 20GB Ide (Partition 1 2GB Windows; Partition 2 6GB FreeBSD, Parti=
tion 3 12GB Free for use)=20
Disk2 --> 4GB SCSI (Partition 1 2GB WinNT4.0; Partition 2 2GB Free for use)
Disk3 --> 1GB SCSI (Free for use)

I'd like to have another copy of FreeBSD running on Disk 2. Is that possibl=
e?
Suppose I make that partition UFS and mirror my current FreeBSD installatio=
n on it,
will I be able to boot that disk by any chance by playing with fdisk?

My second question is about creating a partition from an already used disk.=
 I did buy an HP Pavilion
6645C which has 15GB IDE Disk and a CD-R drive. It came with Windows 98 bun=
dled but this only occupies
 little space. I have used part of the disk to keep copies of CD's that I m=
ishandled ;-) and so far
6GB is used. I could let Winbows use another 4GB and take the rest for Free=
BSD. I attempted to create
a partition by first defragmenting and then using fips but fips tells me th=
at the last cylinder is not
empty - I guess something to do with an HP BIOS?? (Not sure).
I hope that there is a way other than backup_somewhere-->repartition-->rest=
ore.

I need to use the disk thus:

Partition 1 --> 10 GB --> Winblows (M$ Windows)
Partition 2 --> 4GB   --> FreeBSD

I don't want to move the CD-R into the other box and neither do I really lo=
ve to use Windows but it is=20
good to be there for those Windows lusers. I could boot with the kern.flp a=
nd mfsroot.flp but is there a
way I can use to play with fdisk so that the second partition is created af=
ter 'giving' 10GB to Windows?
This is what FIPS would let me do......

At least someone has an idea HOWTO???

I'll be quite grateful for your time spent on advising me on this.

Thank you.

 =20
-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world. -Lily Tomlin=
=20

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW--