Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 16:39:46 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current ready for prime time web server ?

At 12:57 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>

>> One of our 2.2.STABLE server boxes with 250+ virtals is running into the
>> FD_SETSIZE problem
>>
>> [Sun Dec  6 11:28:35 1998] [warn] [csd] filedescriptor (265) larger than
>> FD_SETSIZE (256) found, you probably need to rebuild
>>  Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE
>
>Well, why not rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE like it says?

Hi,
	Thanks for responding... I thought I had to rebuild STABLE as well no ? I
am just worried that would introduce other problems.  Also, other recent
postings in questions suggest that this is not done easily.

>How many descriptors are you using?

coal# pstat -f | head
582/2088 open files

>How many access logs, how many error
>logs, and how many Listen directives do you have?

coal# grep ^TransferLog httpd.conf | wc
     201     402    8077

coal# grep ^ErrorLog httpd.conf | wc
     201     402    7680

coal# grep ^TransferLog httpd.conf | sort | uniq | wc
     199     398    7987

coal# grep ^ErrorLog httpd.conf | sort | uniq | wc
      40      80    1714

>I wouldn't really recommend using -current for production servers right
>now.

Hmmm... I guess for my other machine I will have to revert to Stable with
the CAM patches.  The machine I want to put into production is a Dual CPU
machine, but it will be more IO bound than CPU for now... Perhaps Current
will be more stable in a couple of months and ready for prime time.   The
deployed machine is currently seeing about 500,000 raw hits a day (wc
httpd-access.log) and has quite a few perl scripts...

	---Mike