Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:24:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation completeness??

> > I had a failed install of 2.2-alpha and I want to determine what else
> > needs to be done to get a working machine.
> > So I can use it as a test machine to free up a machine with a ATAPI
> > CROM so I can test that. (whew)
> >
> > I had a signal 11 failure (posted to bugs)
>
> That isn't nice.  Does it do this all the time, starting fresh each time?
> Where does it crash?

I know.  Painful.
During the install.  The window says "Attempting to install all selected
distributions"
I copied kernel.GENERIC to kernel and it booted lemme look around for a sec
(I have done nothing to it...)
well...nothing is in usr/local so it didn't complete the install before
dying.  Jordan wrote back and thought he might have broke something
but I have heard nothing since.  I don't know if he could duplicate it.
I used a FTP install from ftp5.

> This generally indicates faulty memory or processor cache, or can be
> related to a software problem.

2.2-1014SNAP worked for weeks just fine.  No problems.

> > in the EHS I see a kernel.GENERIC
> > do I just need to copy this to kernel to get the machine to boot?
>
> No.  You must install other distributions, notably /bin, and set up the
> disk with slices and a disklabel.

It worked so the install went far enough for booting.  It is sitting on
FDISK row right now though.  Don't trust it and myself to fix it.  easier to
FDISK it and reinstall.

> Find out why it's sig11'ing.  It shouldn't do that.

I'm curious also... :(

It would be nice if there was an installation log which you could look
into and it would list all the steps it was going to take and the ones
it actually took.  Or maybe this exists and I have not RTFM.