Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 10.0 to GPT volume

>> I have tried to install several times, even using gpart to write boot code
to the GPT partition as well as
>> a freebsd-boot partition.  I've installed a  protective mbr.  Nothing
>> appears to work.
None of this makes sense
* what fs are you installing to (ufs, zfs)
* where are you installing from (cdrom I presume?)
* "I've installed a protective mbr" - With GPT??
* do you have FreeBSD already running on the OR a system?

>> Does bsdinstall write boot code to gpt partitions?
>> Under what circumstances would you use bios-boot or efi partitions?
This is well documented

>> The drive is a 3TB Toshiba USB 3.0 external drive.
That's why building and installing from source is always preferred. One of
the kernel modules needed for the usb/hdd chain may not hev been loaded by
the default settings.

>> The laptop is an Intel CORE i7.  This should run amd64, not ia64?
Well, yes of course...
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-hardware.html

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS