Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:21:43 -0400
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@ehlo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   CPU states at 0.0% on 3.2-R SMP box ?

Back in march of this year there was a thread in -questions and -smp about
SMP boxes showing all CPU states at 0.0% and processes continuing to take up
CPU time but not do any actual work.  The responses to people's questions
were usually along the lines of "Try 3.1-RELEASE, it should be fixed there".

I've just installed 3.2-RELEASE on a Dual Xeon-450 ASUS board, and am seeing
the same problem.  I've tried using an aout version of /sbin/init, as was
suggested by someone on the old thread, but that didn't solve anything.

Is there a definate answer about this ?  My boss says that when he last
tried FreeBSD on this box, it was very unstable, and he corelates the wacky
top behaviour with this instability.  Hence, as long as top acts wacky, I
can't move this box into production.

I'm trying to find out if this is merely a presentation/lookup problem or if
the CPU cycles really aren't being sliced up properly between processors.
If anyone has more information, I'd really appreciate hearing it.
Alternatively, if anyone who knows the SMP code wants to hack around on a
box that exhibits this problem, I'd be glad to give you access.

TIA.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon (JF647)                                        james@ehlo.com
EHLO Solutions                                       Voice/Fax +1 416 410-0100